Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Trying to Eat a Little More Local and Organic

Ratto Brothers Beets (It's fun to know where your food comes from!)
Aren't they beautiful?
There are two things I hated growing up: corned beef hash (you can just call it like it is ie: dog food!) and beets. Well guess what? Heck no, I am not eating hash, BUT it turns out I love beets. Beets that have been roasted in my oven, NOT slid out of a can or at an all-you-can-eat salad (salmonella) restaurant! ICKK!


AND I am addicted to orange marmalade as well...CRAZY! You put those two together, and you have just created the world's best salad!! I hate eating lunch at home, but if you make a salad like this it is worth it! Yummm...
I think it is nice to know where your food is coming from! Eating Local (as we can right now) and Organic works for me and my family.

I used:
Organic Spring Salad Mix with Herbs
Ratto Brothers Beets (Central California...I grew up there. ok not local NOW but I feel a kinship to Central California)
Yellow Peppers
Avocado
Chopped Beet Greens from the "tops"
Haystack Mountain Goat Cheese (from Longmont Colorado!)
Candied Walnuts (put 1 cup of sugar in a heavy bottom skillet and melt on med-high, throw in some walnuts and stir quickly, it will burn quick, so watch it every second.... when the sugar turns a caramel color, take of the heat and toss with Kosher Salt....EASY!)
You could add Grilled Chicken or Steak for more of a meal.


Salad Dressing: (I threw this together without measuring...it is Salad Dressing...do what you want!)
1 tablespoon Orange Marmalade
1 teaspoon Brown Mustard
2 or 3 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar
1 tablespoon (or more) of your local honey
Pinch of Kosher or Sea Salt
Olive Oil.....(I didn't use any this time)

Homemade Bread

My kids would fall out of their chairs and feign death if I tried to feed this to them for dinner. So save it for someone with a more mature palate!


Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. i've never had a beet. My mom wasn't into them and they always scared me. My farmer's market opens in a few months and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im just thinking the beet thing is from a head injury. there is no freaking way they taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ba, you just have to prepare them the right way. Pickled Beets....ewwwww....I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beets are amazing! Roasted beets are sweet and delicious! They have a sweet earthiness and the sugars all come out in the roasting, so you get yummy caramelized edges... Now I want beets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I have lunch with you?

    ReplyDelete