Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Just call them Corn Nuts...

I made my husband some "Corn Nuts" to snack on. I may have mentioned before that my husband likes to go on the South Beach Diet, but that he didn't get through the book so I'm in charge of packing his lunch and dinner. yay. I read all three books and have never actually done the diet myself, but I am an expert at this point.
Did I mention he is a picky eater, and doesn't like to be "tricked" into eating things that he deems disgusting. hmmmm..... so I have to tell little stories to get him to try things.......oh did you think I was talking about my children? noooo this one is the worst child I have! So take some chick peas......

rinse them until the foam is gone...don't ask me what the foam is just do it.

Okay now that they are rinsed well, throw them on a kitchen towel and let them dry for about 5 or 10 minutes. Take this time to spray paint something.

Toss them with a little Olive Oil. Just glug some in there. Don't get so perfect.

I made my own Ranch Dressing Mix, because the envelope kind makes me a little nervous. I buy the large size of spices and make a huge batch. I like to make Ranch Dressing with buttermilk and Organic Greek Yogurt then put it back in the Hidden Valley Squeeze Bottle, and no one is the wiser.
I used equal parts of the spices shown above. I could type them out for you but I'm too lazy at the moment, AND you can use what you like, these are just guidelines, NOT rules.
Spin them up in your spice grinder. Which is really a coffee grinder that you only use for spices, go ahead and get one, I use mine all of the time.

Sprinkle the Chick Peas liberally and toss them onto a foil covered sheet pan.

Roast them on the oven at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour, they need to be crunchy and hollow sounding. One minute before and Ickkk! pasty yucky not good. Go for brown and crunchy! They sound kind of rattly-hollow-ish you know? Good.
Now serve up your "Ranch Flavored Corn Nuts" they are delicious.

I used equal parts:
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Parsley Flakes
Celery Flakes
Ground Mustard
A little less of:
Montreal Steak Seasoning-Yum!
Black Pepper
True Lemon--You can use lemon zest here, it really makes it taste like Ranch so try this part for sure.

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. i love when you post your healthy versions, esp. b.c you trick your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say when I LOVE anything that has to do with Chick peas! I am so gonna try this one. YUM
    thanks!
    ps I am doing my 1st giveaway if you would like to stop over!
    ~Tana

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good! Bookmarking to try at a later date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried it tonight...pretty good, but I cheated & used a pkg. Ranch... I will try your recipe next time...sure that it will be better...
    Thanks for the recipe : )

    ReplyDelete