Sunday, November 15, 2009

Clifford the Big Red Chair Gets a Make-Over!



This is not Clifford the actual chair, but it gives you a good idea of what I started with. This is the chair that I had BUT...





This is the look that I really wanted. All Bloggers know that a Home Depot Painters Drop Cloth is the way to go. I bought two, washed them both a few times, ironed them, and then dreamed of a new chair and ottoman. (Less than $40.00 bucks for the fabric.)

So I had to get to work.


Here's the back of him. No that isn't the flash making a white spot, he's all bleached out due to living so close to the sun in Denver. (We are a mile high you know.) Notice that it was dark outside when I looked over and decided that I needed to reupholster a chair RIGHT THEN in the middle of the night. Good thing I had the drop cloths just waiting to be put to good use!

So I started ripping.

And making patterns with the new Painter's Drop Cloth Fabric.

Make sure to label the pieces or you will have no idea where it all goes back.




What the What!? Why is the wood stamped Graveyard inside? I don't even want to know.



I made sure to save the piping to re-use. I had to remove 9 bajillion staples.

But look how nice it looks going back on!

Here is the reupholstering part. I sent the cushions off to my seamstress to recover, cause I can't sew. (that I know of, I haven't tried...yet)

I frayed the bottom for a casual look.

Notice the adorable pleats and the dressmaker detail! I love my seamstress. (And she is a steal, I almost felt guilty)

Here is the beautiful chair and ottoman all covered in drop cloth and fabulessness.
See? There is the red underneath the ottoman, just to show you Clifford used to live here! What an amazing transformation if I do say so myself.
Clifford is now a girl. I'm not sure of her name.

Share/Save/Bookmark

11 comments:

  1. If you can do this without any training you can do anything. Sewing is easyer than recovering a chair. Trust me! I love it! But get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listen to Mommie, truly if you can recover like this, you can sew! This is a fabulous job! Love the frayed edge and all of the details. Good eye! I don't sew, but I have made slipcovers, so truly you can do it! Thanks for a great post...Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::jaw dropping:: if you can do this, i agree with deborah, you can sew! you are inspiring me ... i have a chair that needs some love but i am afraid! thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drop clothes are amazing! Love the look of that chair and ottoman...I just did a double rocker using drop cloths. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is simply amazing...this is going on my must try someday list!
    Thanks for showing us how.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. That chair looks like a good place to get some sleep like your mommie said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I am a drop cloth girl too!

    ReplyDelete